Carving Fundamentals with Alexander Grabovetskiy
Join master wood carver, Alexander Grabovetskiy for a 5 day introductory course on wood carving. See details below.
August 24-28, 2020
This class is designed to be an introduction to basic carving skills and is perfect for any furniture maker who wants to take his or her carving skills to the next level. Alexander will introduce the student to the design process and ways to embellish their furniture as well as give it character.
He will start by sharing his sharpening techniques which he calls “sharpening on steroids.” This is a production style of sharpening that is fast and precise. Demonstrations will also include how to properly use carving gouges. This class will also cover tool selection, how to work with wood grain issues, planning the cut, safe carving techniques, how to clamp the wood without damaging the carving, and subtle tips and tricks in getting the best use out of your gouges.
Students will start carving a basic relief of a floral decoration, then move on to a more advanced relief carving of a classical acanthus leaf design, and finally to carving a classic shell design in relief.
Alexander will explain how to think through a carving project in order to make the carving process the most efficient. He will also demonstrate how to carve the linen-fold design, how to carve grapes or beads, and how to carve lettering. Key Points:
- Sharpening gouges
- How to properly hold gouges for safety & efficiency
- How to lower down background for relief carving
- How to work with wood grain issues
- How to carve a basic floral decoration
- How to carve a more advanced classical acanthus leaf decoration
- How to carve a classical scallop shell carving
- Tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your gouges
- Demonstrations on linen-fold design, grapes, and letter carving
Read Alexander's bio page here. A $25 materials fee must be paid to the intstructor before class. Required tools for this class are yet to be determined. See our "General Class Info page" to learn more about class day.